Friday, February 12, 2010

Exciting

Do you know what sucks? Trying to start your own legitimate business. Especially when you are trying to fund it, and figure it out yourself. Why do they make it so convoluted? Give me one website that I can download ALL the required forms so I can fill them out, then you(government) can start making money off my business. I'd almost prefer doing it all under the table. I don't have to pay taxes on the income, and there is much less paperwork to worry about throughout the year when I do it illegitimately!

Why am I so frustrated? Well, for a while now, I have been attempting to start my own production business. Things are slowly coming together; I have my distributors, the beginnings of a website, a good business name, and most importantly - customers! I want to get this thing going, but there doesn't seem to be any site that helps you complete all your business license, DBA, sellers permit, zoning permits, etc yourself.

Legalzoom, while the closest to the solution, charges ridiculous fees in order to help you complete these forms - and tries to justify these fees by saying "you could have spend thousands more if you used a lawyer". Who in their right mind, would hire a lawyer for a small-business license filing!?! You'd have to be independently wealthy to begin with! But, as easy (and expensive) as it is, Legalzoom still doesnt help with the city level permits that are required. What is even worse, these city permits all use paper processing! Talk about a carbon footprint!

I just need a little advice and someone to talk to if I need to know what the heck I am doing - and I don't want to pay for it!

Other than that, I think starting my own business will be exciting and an excellent learning experience. We'll just have to see what happens!

No comments: