Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Fine Day With The Dentist

Well, today was a fine day. At 2:00 I had a dental appointment for a cleaning. Now, I don't mind the dentist - or the oral hygienist for that matter, but there seems to be a common practice between all dental offices that I find somewhat... annoying - for lack of a better word.

I think this is probably annoying to anyone who has gone to the dentist. You come in, they're very friendly, ask you how you're doing. Then you sit down in their super-recliner chair, and they continue the conversation... with their fingers and sharp tools in your mouth. Now, I am not opposed to talking with fingers in my mouth, its the sharp picks and tools they are using. The best way to end the conversation is to say "no" to something - even if maybe you'd answer yes on another occasion. "So do you have a favorite food?" "No." "...oh." The excessive conversing ends there.

I have one other somewhat related issue with the whole teeth cleaning ordeal. I am not certain if I am the only person who feels this way, but maybe someone else can back me up on this. So, you're sitting horizontal to the floor, mouth open, fingers and sharp things in your mouth, when you start to notice a small pool of saliva building in the back of your throat. Your natural instinct is to swallow. Good luck! I don't know if it is actually possible, but I have never been able to swallow with my mouth open. Not water, not soda, and not saliva. I try to hold off the feeling that I need to swallow as long as I can, but my instincts take control and force me to make a very awkward, attempt at swallowing with my mouth open. I just end up closing my mouth and swallow while the hygienist is still working. Oh well, at least I don't have to see them for another 6 months.

Healthy teeth are important, at least in American society. I am happy to say that I have relatively healthy teeth. No new cavities were discovered at this cleaning which is good because I don't have the money to pay for X-rays or a filling, or anesthesia for that matter - ouch!

No comments: